Dispatch is our email campaign service used to create and deploy custom HTML emails. Branded templates are available within Dispatch for use by all academic and administrative units. These templates ensure that your emails are branded consistently and properly coded to accurately display content across devices and email clients.
Basic invitation template
Invitation template with image
Email design guidelines
- Sizing: Templates are 600 pixels wide to provide maximum visibility across email clients.
- Header and footer: Templates include an institutional email header and footer with the primary university logo. Do not use lockups in the header or footer. College, department, or unit names can be placed as text below the header.
- Primary image: Templates can accommodate a primary image beneath the header for visuals that are unique to your unit or event. Size primary images to 600 x 275 pixels and include alt tags for accessibility.
Email best practices
- Assume images will be blocked. Email clients commonly block images, so important information should be built as plain text, not as a design element. If you do have an image, make sure to use an alt tag for the accessibility of users who rely on assistive devices.
- Highlight your message. Put your key message in the upper third of your email to make it immediately visible to your audience.
- Use a single call to action. The focal point of your email should be the action you want the recipient to take.
- Optimize images. For best results with text-based images (such as logos), use png format.
- Make sure your CSS styles are inline. Most email clients will not keep header styles, so be sure to inline all of your CSS. No email client accepts a separate style sheet.
- Test, test, and test again. While we have made every effort to ensure these templates will accurately display in all email clients, it is always a good idea to test your emails to make sure there are no formatting or display errors.
- Login to Dispatch
- Use the Template Chooser from the Campaign page.
- Select the Curated tab.
- Once you select a template, supply values for all content blocks. See the documentation for each curated template on what type of information each content block requires.
Emails to prospective students
Any email communication to prospective or admitted University of Iowa students prior to the first day of classes must be sent by Enrollment Management.